User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Computer » Atari ST (Sixteen/Thirty-two)Steps - Line of Fire by flag Tao (Frank Seemann)
Requested By: flag djrandom
Pouet

Time Left: 5:45

Steps Screenshot
Rating: 4.55 (11 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

General Discussion » POLL: How much scenemusic you want to hear on CVGM?

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#331 (13 years, 7 months ago)

POLL: How much scenemusic you want to hear on CVGM?

What's the reasonable share for scenemusic? Current (about 50% of songs) or something else?

----

I personally think that about 10% to 20% of material would be a reasonable share for scenemusic on CVGM

We already have Nectarine radio for scenemusic. Especially newschool scenemusic is something totally alien for most of ppl who want to listen to game music. What the world is devoid of is good game music radio. I am afraid that too high portion of scenemusic may prevent CVGM from becoming a popular radio among game music listeners.

There is of course an incentive for ppl to put all their favorite music on CVGM without caring about the overall concept. But I think CVGM has a potential to become the number one radio for game music listeners around the world so why to sacrifice this target by taking "anything goes" policy.

One possibility to increase the share of game music without modifying the database is to set DJ Random to favor game music (or even set it to pick game music songs exclusively).
flagUltrasyd
( o Y o ) ლ(°◡°ლ)

72 Posts
#332 (13 years, 7 months ago)
Well, i try myself to request more game than scenemusic (i go to necta for this). Your last proposition sounds good to me. If people want to hear scene music they can request it of course, depends on the people online, but favor game music by DJ random could be nice.

You look way older since you came back
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#333 (13 years, 7 months ago)
I think it really depends This was something that was talked about a lot at Evoke for example and seems to crop up with a lot of people when we get close to taste in music.

CVGM was intended as an all-round station, people can listen to a bit of both. There are some great demoscene productions out there that deserve some quality air time. In the same breath, many great game tracks exist and days come where I want to listen to both as do many people here. We get many Necta people switching back and forth between the streams. Some new code features coming soon that will make site switching even easier.

Even on Nectarine in the oneliner, people always complaining because stuff sounds like shite, another long ass crap session or comic bakery run. I try to eliminate some of that here by not allowing poopy track uploads (to an extent) and offering a better general mix of tracks. We also have a better quality DB in terms of information as well, don't forget!

I really don't want CVGM to just be "All games" or "All Demoscene" - We have many great tracks that fall into neither category! Thanks to the hard work of the people using the site, we have a very substantial set of very different music tracks not heard anywhere else! It was very pleasing to talk to many of the musicians and coders at the demo party and hear them say great things about the site
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#348 (13 years, 7 months ago)
I'm not against scene music even if most new releases is a bit boring, it's difficult to find the good ones as the scene is so big.

Something i do prefer is demo (scene) music with music done on hardware that is very limited and therefor usually have a recognizable sound... ym2149, SID, beeper, MT-32, XG and so on.

Also i made a "game cd audio" platform for more easy browsing game music that usually would end up in "misc newschool" or "pc custom".

But yes... game music will drown in scene music that gets like 300 uploads for every demo party.
New game music is usually as boring as new scene music.
flagUltrasyd
( o Y o ) ლ(°◡°ლ)

72 Posts
#352 (13 years, 7 months ago)
Oldschool : )
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#355 (13 years, 7 months ago)
Agree with Stefan, newer game music is not very intersting anymore, the technical challenges are gone with making it sound awesome on limited hardware, and while there are certain modern game tracks that stand out from the others in terms of excellence (and still sound fantastic) its not the same as a soundtrack from a platform from a while ago

The choice is not about how much scene music do you want to hear, its about what you like to listen to despite the source of which it came from. Who cares where it came from if it sounds great, I know you voted the tracks from flag she (Lain Trzaska) with a rating of 1 (despite not having played at the time) because they were indy. Thats the kind of stuff that gets me annoyed. Reminds me of Nectarine trolls doing the same thing to each other.

Every artist deserves a fair chance, some people won't like it, and they know that. Just remember to think of that, and if their album deserves all 1 rating, maybe comment as to why and how they could improve it.
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.