User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Computer » Amiga (500 / 600 / 1200 / 2000 / 3000 / 4000)Grand Prix Circuit by flag Kris Hatlelid
Requested By: flag djrandom
Production Labels: LabelAccolade
Icon

Time Left: 2:04

Rating: 4.67 (9 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

General Discussion » dj_random new mood idea -- "Play Favorites"

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1169 (11 years, 5 months ago)
Here's an idea for new dj_random mood to minimize crappy track selection and yet to be friendly to anyone currently logged in.

"Play Favorites" mood would make dj_random select only the tracks from people's favorites lists, but only from those people that are currently logged in so it wouldn't hinder offline people and keep locking their favorites.

Of course, if all favorites are locked and dj_random can't select anything for logged in users, it can automatically switch back to "Play whatever you can find" mood.

Fish, is this feasible? what's your take on it?
And what does everybody else think about it?
Shoul this idea should be tweaked a bit more?
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#1170 (11 years, 5 months ago)
Yeah, this is a great idea! And as I said in the oneliner, anything is possible. One of us just needs to code it.

Slightly off-topic, but I am curious about what DJ Randomly's "Play The Best Songs Only" mood is for, since I've seen him request songs with a rating as low as 2.0 in this mood before...
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1171 (11 years, 5 months ago)
To make it reasonable solution new mood requires new profile flag:

Do not play my favorites in djrandom's "Play favorites" mood

as logged-in state does not implicate listening state and auto-playing would quickly lock whole favorite lists of people that are often logged in.

-GF
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#1172 (11 years, 5 months ago)
Its far easier in code to look at the songs, and pull in songs which have appeared a # of times in a user favourites, and find songs this way. Otherwise, you have to pick a user, find their list, and even if they don't want to have their faves shared, someone else might have the same song and do want it played.

So, ts better to do something like:

Songs = Objects.Get(Songs, num_faves>=MIN_NUM_FAVES)
Song = Rnd(Songs)

And pluck one this way. Also faster.
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1173 (11 years, 5 months ago)
Then I think whole idea is disputable. People usually use FavList as their personal "request pool", so they can quickly find their "The Best of CVGM" tracks when they want to queue something (and not to be played when they are away). This new mode would make djrandom's fav-stealing habit even stronger. It's counter intuitive for me:

If many people would like to request this song, let's auto-request it when there is nobody around
(as I assume it's mostly when djrandom takes control of the stream).

-GF
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1182 (11 years, 5 months ago)
Your last sentence does not really stand. Aside from few users that like constantly requesting when they're online, many users simply listen to dj_random's picks and don't request unless dj is selecting some really bad songs.

Even now, there's like 10 users online and not a single request except by dj_random in the displayable history. People tend to listen this while working and they may not have time or even will to go requesting just the tracks they want, but let the dj play something new for them or just treat this site for what it is, another radio station
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.