User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Computer » PC (Windows - streaming and other)Diablo II - Cave Have video by flag Matt Uelmen
Requested By: flag djrandom
Production Labels: LabelBlizzard Entertainment
In Albums: Compilation Diablo II

Time Left: 4:02

Diablo II (ingame 1) Screenshot
Rating: 4.50 (8 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » categorizing platform page

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#199 (14 years, 3 months ago)
I think that platform page should be arranged to categories (i guess, by manually editing platform page instead of creating any new category system)

This would be especially helpful for people without not much knowledge
about old machines. They could instantly get some kind of idea what are the relationships between different machines and to what periods they belong

here is the first suggestion for categories

8-bit generation of home computers (early & mid 1980s)
Amstrad CPC
Atari XL
Commodore 64
MSX
MSX2
MSX2+
VIC-20
ZX Spectrum 128
ZX Spectrum 16k/48k/+
(BBC Micro)

8-bit generation of game consoles (1980s)
Nintendo (NES)
Sega Master System
Sega SG-1000 Mark III

16-bit generation of home computers (1985 - early 1990s)
Amiga
Atari ST
Atari STe

16-bit generation of game consoles (1987 - early 1990s)
PC Engine
Sega Megadrive/Genesis
Super Nintendo
Neo Geo

Handheld game consoles (1989-)
Game Boy
Game Gear
(Neogeo Pocket)
(Wonderswan)

IBM PC compatible computers
PC custom & soundcards & tracker formats

japanese home computers
FM Towns
Sharp X68000
(MSX Turbo R)
(PC-88)

Fifth & sixth generation game consoles
Nintendo64
Sega Dreamcast

Others:
ATmega88
Crap
Miscellaneous Newschool
Arcade
Atari Falcon
Z80 / ULA (or is this 8-bit computer?)
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#1335 (10 years, 5 months ago)
Platforms were re-organized recently (November 2013).

--

I think this category called "hardware" is redundant. It is confusing that some PC music is placed there, it would be more handy to put all the PC music to the same place.

Thus I suggest that different PC sound cards could be seen as subcategories of the "Computer PC" branch, for example "Computer - PC - OPL2 (AdLib / early Sound Blaster)" etc.

I think Konami SCC could be placed under "Computer MSX" category and floppy drive as well as ATmega88 could be placed under "miscellaneous". Thus the whole hardware would disappear.

--

Similarly, I think that "utility" categories should be subcategories of "computer PC" since they are all PC music. In this way all the PC music would be found from the same place. I'm afraid it make some people confused if PC music is scattered in different places.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1336 (10 years, 5 months ago)
Utility such as Cuebase at first ran on Atari ST, current version on PC, so it is not just tied to a single platform. At least according to wiki, I'm not familiar with actual software not its history.

Hardware was initially just Sound Card category, but wanted to include other hardware like Microchip or Floppy etc, hence made it slightly broader.

Actually, MT-32 and such isn't only tied to PC, we have to split on other platforms, but yeah, some platforms could be further cleared. At the moment we have many things mixed, basically I tried to sort what already existed without deleting platform or adding new ones (except Official OST).
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1337 (10 years, 5 months ago)
Your point was quite sound, my friend.

I removed Hardware category, and added MT-32 and all those sound cards to their respective computers, PC or MSX, since MT-32 existed as sub-categorized on two more computer systems, so it is only logical to have PC under PC.

Moved microcontroller and floppy music under miscellaneous.
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#1342 (10 years, 5 months ago)
Good... Btw, I think that the old OPL3 platform logo could be restored (only for OPL3, so it does not restore the confusion). The text is too small on that current Sound Blaster logo.
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#1343 (10 years, 5 months ago)
I made a new OPL3 icon... is it ok?
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#1344 (10 years, 4 months ago)
I appreciate your efforts though I really miss the original one (with a green circuit board)
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1345 (10 years, 4 months ago)
That was a circuit board? I thought it was green monitor, just as red circuit board icon looks like red monitor to me
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#1389 (10 years, 2 months ago)
Right now each platform menu page has set so short that Amiga platform has 37 pages!

Needless to say it is very painful to browse it like that, so please change it back. 5 pages of Amiga platform was painful stupid enough, it should have rather been made longer than shorter.
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#1390 (10 years, 2 months ago)
Hi,

I changed the values to lower ones to help with the speed of the site while navigating under heavy traffic. Ive now set them to much higher values, so there is additional wait between some pages, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
flagDankore

4 Posts
#2009 (3 years, 9 months ago)
Thank you for sharing! This is very interesting information for me.
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.