User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Console » Mega Drive / GenesisStreets of Rage 2 - SOR Super Mix by flag Yuzo Koshiro (古代 祐三)
Requested By: flag HaCKa
Production Labels: LabelAncient Corp LabelSega
In Albums: Compilation Streets of Rage 2

Time Left: 5:46

Streets of Rage II Mega Drive ingame Screenshot
Rating: 4.29 (14 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » Icon size

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagUltrasyd
( o Y o ) ლ(°◡°ლ)

72 Posts
#694 (12 years, 5 months ago)
Now we are having some new and good looking CSS styles for the website, maybe some cleaning in smileys database soon. What about icon size next ? We have things with many different size now, it's very disturbing and looks random. If 16x16 is too small, should go for something bigger ?
I would not like to have different icon size on my computer for example

Your advice ?
I suggest 320x224, good size.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/segagenesyissyd.png/
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#695 (12 years, 5 months ago)
flagUltrasyd
( o Y o ) ლ(°◡°ლ)

72 Posts
#696 (12 years, 5 months ago)
I'll try to work on a new collection of icon slightly bigger to allow more complex icons like CM-64 and other that diplay more text : )
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#697 (12 years, 5 months ago)
Im OK with the main platform icons being a bit bigger, though if we plan on changing some, we should change all of them. I would rather that they be the same height (as some platform images may need to be wider to fit all text), but obviously not as big as the picture that Syd posted If they are too tall, they may throw a few other things off, or look out of place.

If we did allow images that much larger size, I would rather they be screenshots than the platform icons hehe
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#698 (12 years, 5 months ago)
I am afraid of bigger platform icons. It can damage text formatting in too many
places. Fav-lists and request list will be ok as it is table with platform icon in each
row, so it will space evenly, but things like "Currently playing" panel will space
first row badly. Right now with 16 it is acceptable (almost OK), but with even
24px it will go too far. Please check different places of the site before decision as
it is a lot of work to redraw all platforms and then we will have to make painful
decision if we want to throw away 5 days of someone's work or live with
broken layout.

Also we should keep in mind that 16px platform icon fits size of all other icons
(label, link types, etc).
flagUltrasyd
( o Y o ) ლ(°◡°ლ)

72 Posts
#700 (12 years, 5 months ago)
By bigger, i meant maybe 20x20. Only 4 more pixels, but it is already a lot and maybe enough to add some more details.
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#701 (12 years, 5 months ago)
I dont think there is need for the height to be more than 16 pixels.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#977 (11 years, 7 months ago)
I fixed certain wider or lower than 16px wide icons on both platforms and compilations to have somewhat consistent look, but didn't touch very wide ones... figured there's a reason they're so wide

The problem lies more in some default icons that don't follow the rule of 16x16 or even 16px height so they stand out whenever there is a listing included.

In compilations, default icon is lower and wider which stands out (could be on purpose so anyone can notice it and change it to an actual album icon

Other thing is the difference between most basic icons which are + (to request track) and lock (when you cannot request it). Not sure if that is a mater of a theme since one is a link and the other is not, but whenever you see a listing (compilation or artist page), one if making different line width to another and it's quite noticeable.

I'll try to make a new theme one of these days (mostly focusing on fixing such things in CSS than changing overall look) and see if that will solve the issue.

But in general, having icons like 8x16 or 12x16 or 14x16 instead of 16x16 does not look good... should be all made into 16x16 for same spacing, even if that means the icon would have empty pixels up and down for the consistency.

As for Nx16 icons where people add entire words and company logos... I guess it can be okay in certain rare cases, but even in those cases it can be done in 16x16. Sure, having 24x24 icons might look more recognizable but that's what cover or thumbnail is for, icon is... well, small

Anyway, that's my c20 on the topic ;))
flagMagda
Truth is the most important - Magda

84 Posts
#1923 (4 years, 10 months ago)
About week ago I added lot of the icons for the sources, as many of them were missing.

flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#1924 (4 years, 10 months ago)
Thanks for updating those icons
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.