User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Computer » PC (Roland MT-32)The Adventures of Willy Beamish - Upstairs - Day 2 by flag Christopher Stevens
Requested By: flag djrandom
Production Labels: LabelDynamix
In Albums: Compilation The Adventures of Willy Beamish - IBM-PC MT-32
Icon Icon Icon Icon

Time Left: 2:08

willy-ibm Screenshot
Rating: 5.00 (2 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » Site Updates On 10/17/2010

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#378 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Hi,

Terrasque has been working hard on a new code patch that I have implemented tonight to the site. Among many things, here are some of the big changes from his other post on Nectarine:

Terrasque said: "Lots of small changes around.

-New pagination logic (page list at bottom on f.x song and artist list) - hopefully a bit better than before

-A new queue limit is introduced. Now you can only have one song at or below vote 2.5 in the queue. This is to limit crap sessions a bit.

-There is now support for playing youtube videos in the "Currently Playing" info. If you find that annoying, you can turn it off in your profile.

- Also added some song lock info to the xml files, and user favs

- Queue now shows song ratings, and there's a video icon showing on the songs that have video information added.

Some more info about the YouTube feature:

First of all, it's on by default. There are a few reasons for this. First of all, I think it's not only awesome, it will further help this radio's brand and self identity as a DEMOSCENE radio. Second, I want it to be on for all new accounts to be created. Thirdly, I feel it gives a better representation of the music being played, shows new demos to people who haven't seen them, and help new people understand that the music is not just music, but part of something more.
There are some that doesn't want it, and they can of course turn it off. So far, there have been few people who have expressed this opinion, and even fewer after actually seeing it in use Of course, if the majority of people want it off by default, that can be changed.

Second, they're not synced. First of all, the finest time unit we can set the offset of the youtube video is 1 second. Second, there's buffering / init / caching delay on the client side that varies a lot, which is completely out of our control. It will usually be around +/- 2-3 seconds. For my machine, the stream lag seem to fit perfectly with the youtube lag, and hit usually within half a second to a second

Thirdly, it doesn't use the user supplied youtube links for various reasons, and is something moderators have to enable for each song. So I suspect it will only be video on the few really good ones

Fourthly, it seem to be some problem with ajax load on some browsers, on those video won't show up until page itself is refreshed. I'm looking into that.

Ok, think that covers most of the feedback I've gotten about that feature"

Great job, Terra!
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#379 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Even if you write (or Terra) "identity as a DEMOSCENE radio" so have i added gameplay videos to some game songs...i also tested the offset function wich worked fine, it's useful for longplay videos of games to start the video at the level the music is actually playing

I added youtube to all "Monster business" (atari ST) tunes, that game play the music randomly so it does not matter if they show the same video.

Also tested it for the some "Wings of death" tunes, but the WoD tunes are a mess... playing stereo sound and/or dupes it really needs to be sorted before adding videos.
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#380 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Wow, this is actually pretty cool. It helps put some visuals behind the music, which is really a great addition in my opinion.

Is there any rules for adding a YouTube video to a track or not? Or does anything go -- for example, demos too?

I don't know if Opera is one of the browsers that has an AJAX problem or not, but it seemed to work... sort of. I tested one of the Monster Business tunes (one that I hadn't yet voted on), and the video appeared in the right column. After I voted on it, the queue page reloaded and the video in the right column continued from where it left off (which was unexpected, but very nice), but another YouTube video box appeared below the Currently Playing info in the middle. However, this video never started -- it just got stuck at a black box with the YouTube logo on it.

So I guess my questions are: is the video supposed to appear in the main queue window, and if it's supposed to be visible in both places, isn't that a bit... much?
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#381 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Hi,

I talked to a couple of people in the oneliner already to answer some questions already, but I will re-clarify some things here for everyone else

The new video feature is going viral, which is great Terrasque has done a fantastic job making it work the way it does. I have added a fair amount of video clips myself, and it is really great to see everyone else doing the same May I remind everyone who is editing records, that while you are in there to correct any additional information about the song too, including Year, Groups, Labels and Tags. the more info added to a song, the better

If you see a song and know of the perfect clip, please post in forum Song Corrections / Changes with the song number (you can use the [song] tag) and the link to the YouTube clip

In terms as what is accepted video-wise, I think anything that is directly related is acceptable, whether its a demo, a gameplay clip from the game its from, or a live performance. Starpilot has already added some of his live clips and its great to see him grooving to the GameBoy beat

Video appears in both because of how the template system works, I will eventually try to limit it to just the right hand side, last I remember there was a technical limit as to why it worked that way. I have drank way too much since then to remember what it was.

Keep up the great work guys. after I finish a few things, im going to start working on the artwork side of the feature (so we can display cassette inlay tapes etc.) for some of those entries that don't have any video or pouet info. Thanks guys! And keep adding the great video clips!
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.