User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Miscellaneous » Wild (unknown/unusual source)Sidology 2 - Trinity by flag Machinae Supremacy
Requested By: flag xrm1911

Time Left: 12:50

Rating: 4.79 (28 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

News » Server Outages

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#175 (14 years, 4 months ago)
Hi,

This little post is just a bit of info over whats been going on here over the last couple of weeks with all of our outages etc. It's more an informational post to those interested in what happened

For those who have been following the site, I have been tracking down some pretty big memory leaks on the site, not just here, but other sites too that use the Demovibes software. Well, I did manage to find the sources of most of the leaks so I started making some changes to the CVGM servers. Anyways, mid-way through a pretty critical Python update, I somehow lost communications with the server. After talking with the support staff who host the dedicated box, it appeared as though the box had rebooted mid-way through the upgrade process and there were some things that were badly broken software-wise.

Thanks to our provider, they were able to apply a couple of patches I reccomended so that we could get the machine back online; I performed a full system backup (as we needed to format the machine because of the other damage) and then waited for the machine to be formatted. Unfortunately, this took a few extra days longer than we anticipated.

The server was formatted with the newer Ubuntu 9.10 server edition which already has the memeory-leak fixes in place for several different packages that we use. I also updated the python dependencies and several other packages to get the site back online. As of right now, the plugs seem to have been plugged, which I am very glad about

As I continue to keep my eye on things, I do want to apologize for the unexpected downtime. I am hoping it won't be that long again, and I do now have some backup plans in place to switch servers in the event something does go horribly wrong. Thanks to everyone for your patience

FishGuy876
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#187 (14 years, 3 months ago)
Looks like we were hit with another issue regarding the site's MySQL server this week. As many of the regulars know, I have been fighting some uphill battles regarding server loads and the SQL server for a couple of weeks now.

Seems that when DirectAdmin was installed (DirectAdmin handles the internals of the server, such as email, DNS and so forth) that it did a really botch job on MySQL. To the point where, even though I was telling the configuration files to do something, they wouldn't! After talking to arab about the issue, he logged into the box, changed lots of stuff around and was able to kludge through the crap that directadmin had put in place and was able to make it work properly. A big thanks to arab for all his efforts!!

Anyways, I am hoping that the issue is finally laid to rest! Keep requesting!!

FishGuy876
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.