User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Miscellaneous » Wild (unknown/unusual source)Chipbreak Wars - Phalanx by flag Sabrepulse (Ashley Charles)
Requested By: flag Hneet
In Albums: Compilation Chipbreak Wars

Time Left: 4:19

Chipbreak Wars Screenshot
Rating: 4.28 (18 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

General Discussion » Recording music from OLD hardware - requirements for sound quality?

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#1284 (10 years, 10 months ago)
I would like you to answer the following question:

When recording sound from old hardware devices (computers, consoles, sound cards)...

Is there any particular gadget you think that one can record in sound quality lower than CD-quality without losing anything essential?

I used to think that you can record for example NES in some lower sound quality without losing anything in authenticity but now some people are claiming otherwise.

What do you think?

(this question is of course "theoretical" in the sense that there is no any trouble recording everything in 44khz-8bit or higher, so this discussion is mostly about understanding the nature of sound)
Saga_Musix
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

18 Posts
#1285 (10 years, 10 months ago)
Just because something is old, that doesn't mean that it also doesn't have a high sample rate or bit depth. That's especially true for analog components. Just think of the SID chip - yes it's old, but it still generates a lot of high frequency content. Try resampling SID music to 22 KHz and you'll hear the difference.

Generally the only hardware where frequency content is very limited are old sample players (e.g. Amiga), but this is again only theoretical. Since this hardware typically doesn't do any interpolation, you get raw, gritty and noisy sound with lots of high frequencies in it.
So even if the Amiga only has a maximum samplerate of 28.something KHz, it makes sense to record it at 44 KHz.
And of course while every single Amiga channel is only 8-Bit, the mix of all four channels has a higher precision than 8-Bit. This trick has been used by demo coders to get a practical bit depth of 14-Bit or so for their streamed demo tracks (Play 8-Bit stream at full volume, and play another stream which only contains the lowest bits at minimum volume).
So no, there's really no way to say that 8-Bit would be enough for recording stuff.

Of course there can be excpetions, like a song only using low frequency content, but that's not due to the hardware itself then.
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#1286 (10 years, 10 months ago)
I agree on what saga_musix said it is totally correct ;-)

Never record below 44khz and 16bit unless you record a digital stream.

I remember some Bubble Bobble recordings from the actual arcade PCB and they were in 22khz if i remember correctly and did not sound as clean as from the PCB and even though the recorder had checked the audio and came to conclusion there was no audio data above 22khz... but still 44khz sounded more close to what was outputted by the PCB.
flagGGOWYLLOP

33 Posts
#1620 (8 years, 8 months ago)
Stefan Polish Yer Helmutt ( Helmet )
flagGGOWYLLOP

33 Posts
#1621 (8 years, 5 months ago)
I used TO like GETTING a 4 HEAD VCR Thick Wide Anolog Sounds Heavy

https://www.facebook.com/frank.cheshire.chessar
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.