Notification Settings

Now Playing

Computer » ZX Spectrum (AY)Opus2 by flag Ded Smirnoff (Andrey Smirnov)Deceased
Requested By: flag djrandom

Time Left: 4:23

Rating: 4.43 (7 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » Licensed songs - yeey or naay?

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1009 (11 years, 6 months ago)
After talking to goat... not just any goat, our very resident The Goat of a father, he said that adding licensed songs that appear in games (like sports games, Need for Speed, Karaoke or SingStar PS2 games, etc.) may draw unwanted attention to this site.

Now, should we add those songs and artists as well, or only if the song is made for the game (or game ost) explicitly?

If the answer is yes, then I have a following question... such Fallout 3 tracks don't have game title prefix... which is logical because they can appear in other games. Should we use such naming convention, or should we add game title prefix for songs that so far appeared only in a single game?

Fish is needed to officially give answer to this thread so we can have a definitive answer on the topic
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1014 (11 years, 6 months ago)
What I am afraid the most is that this is Pandora's box. Soon we can get GTA / NfS games with piles of Disco/80s/Rap/etc tracks. Just three radio stations from GTA VC:

Foreigner - "Waiting for a Girl Like You"
Kate Bush - "Wow"
Squeeze - "Tempted"
REO Speedwagon - "Keep on Loving You"
Cutting Crew - "(I Just) Died in Your Arms"
Roxy Music - "More Than This"
Toto - "Africa"
Mr. Mister - "Broken Wings"
John Waite - "Missing You"
Jan Hammer - "Crockett's Theme"
Night Ranger - "Sister Christian"
Luther Vandross - "Never Too Much"

Hall & Oates - "Out of Touch"
Wang Chung - "Dance Hall Days"
Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean"
Laura Branigan - "Self Control"
Go West - "Call Me"
INXS - "Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down the Mountain)"
Bryan Adams - "Run to You"
Electric Light Orchestra - "Four Little Diamonds"
Yes - "Owner of a Lonely Heart"
The Buggles - "Video Killed the Radio Star"
Aneka - "Japanese Boy"
Talk Talk - "Life's What You Make It"
The Outfield - "Your Love"
Joe Jackson - "Steppin' Out"
The Fixx - "One Thing Leads to Another"
Lionel Richie - "Running with the Night"

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - "Two Tribes"
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - "Love Missile F1-11"
Gary Numan - "Cars"
The Human League - "(Keep Feeling) Fascination"
Blondie - "Atomic"
Nena - "99 Luftballons"
Kim Wilde - "Kids in America"
Tears for Fears - "Pale Shelter"
Corey Hart - "Sunglasses At Night"
ABC - "Poison Arrow"
A Flock of Seagulls - "I Ran (So Far Away)"
The Psychedelic Furs - "Love My Way"
Animotion - "Obsession"
Spandau Ballet - "Gold"
Thomas Dolby - "Hyperactive!"
Romeo Void - "Never Say Never"

Do we really want to listen to Michael Jackson and "99 Luftballons" on CVGM?

And I am glad Fallout III was the first important title to land here as its music is very good and stylish, so it's easier to live with that. Also bit older which makes it probably less attractive lawyer-bait than Michael Jackson.

I know we have last decade console music / OST too which is also on the edge of copyright issues, but still I am afraid that Michael Jackson and all that mainstream modern music can possibly cause more troubles than what we have here.

So if I am wrong regarding possible copyright problems with full format music, please let me know.

In general I am on the position that we should collect music made for games/scene and not just used by games/scene, even though sometimes it's not quite easy to put a line between made | used. So I love Metallica chip song or remix made with a tracker, but hate Metallica song uploaded straight from the CD even if someone used that in a game/demo.

-Le Goat

PS. I like VC radio stations. Got it on HD, use it as background music from time to time, so it's not that I do not like that music. Just cannot fit it with CVGM profile.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1015 (11 years, 6 months ago)
Goat has a good point here... I don't think these songs belong on cvgm, we can tune in on any online radio site to listen to such music.

These are neither "Computer" nor "Video Game Music", they just happen to have been licensed for use in a single or more games, but are generally pop, rock, jazz, rap, hip-hop and other sort of music, namely songs. Well, games sometimes use other instrumental licensed music, not just songs.

Maybe in cases like these, if we accept them, we should not start creating artist for each song, but maybe create a "fake" artist called "LicensedSongs" or something and add all such songs under that artist, where instead of "Game title - Song title" we could name them "Real artist - Song title".

That way they'd be at a single place and easy to track for removal or something.

I personally don't care much for songs that aren't from games... I listen and like them, just not my intention to listen to such songs when I come to this site, obviously.

If we add them, maybe they can be flagged so djrandom never selects them and they can only be selected by actual user. It's easy to add 1000 such songs which would play every now and then by djrandom if we'd have them.

I'd personally allow only licensed songs that are covers or remixes made for the games, and all original licensed music I'd keep out from this site.

But, if Fish says it's okay... I'll just start uploading this music along with other game music
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#1022 (11 years, 6 months ago)
This has been a discussion had many times in the past

I do not want that kind of music on CVGM. Stuff created exclusively for the game is one thing, but we absolutely do not want any of the commercial music here, such as MJ etc. This will get the site shut down very quickly. The channels work well in the game, but they don't belong here.

Fallout 3 is a bit different, its not exactly music you hear on the radio all the time, and personally I like that style. Without further ado, I shall start hacking and whacking and smacking ....
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1023 (11 years, 6 months ago)
Okay, so no Need for Speed music, only score soundtrack, same for GTA and other like Alan Wake (though 2-3 songs in Alan Wake are made for the game which were already added).

Good call, we should keep our GameSongsLicensed tag as small as possible
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.