User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Arcade » OPX (Jaleco Mega System 32)Tetris Plus 2 - Attract Mode Demo Have video by flag Kenichi Kamio
Requested By: flag djrandom
Production Labels: LabelJaleco

Time Left: 2:06

Rating: 3.71 (7 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » New name for the radio?

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagfranz_opa
hoplaa!

79 Posts
#346 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Today at 7:32 I watch request history (all requested by dj random)

There are 20 requested songs listed. Of them four are from some computer or video game (or game remixes). Rest 16 songs are from some other sources.

So, I think it's finally time to give a new name for this radio, which would be more suitable when taking account its content. Classic video game music is now a minor thing on this radio so having a title like that sure is misleading and foolish.

Though, I'm not sure what the current policy around here is. The most of stuff belongs probably to the domain of scenemusic. And then there all kinds of other stuff about which I don't personally know anything.

I think this radio seems to be a some kind of alternative for Nectarine. It has mostly scenemusic plus something more. So I guess a new name could be something which would be related to "nectarine" somehow.

Some other species which belong to rose family (in which nectarines belong) are almond, apricot, medlar, loquat and boysenberry. Maybe one of these words could serve as a new name for the radio?

Or do you have better ideas?
flagEpec

4 Posts
#347 (13 years, 6 months ago)
I believe the name CVGM actually refers to Computer and Video Game Music for this reason!
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#349 (13 years, 6 months ago)
yes CVGM now stands for "Computer and video game music" and not "Classic video game music"... i guess all old banners should be removed?
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#354 (13 years, 6 months ago)
There is a posting in the FAQ about the name. It was changed a very long time ago when I was pressured to change it back then as well. The old banners can stay on the site, they don't need to be removed.
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#359 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Since I'm the one who originally uploaded flag she (Lain Trzaska) and seemed to have started this mess, I feel obligated to post a reply and express my thoughts on the subject.

Over the course of the last few days, I too have been watching DJ Randomly's request history when no one else is making requests, and looking at the 20 songs listed in the Request History. On average, there seems to be about a 40-50% ratio of *original* game music (not including remixes!) compared to other music (scene music, or new songs composed on old hardware).

Here's a screenshot I took from today: http://twitpic.com/2vx1zx . Starting from the top: Wizball, Pinball Fantasies, Eco, Super Mario 64, Boogerman, Sonic CD, Superfrog, Turrican 3, California Games, Street Fighter II Turbo, Alien Breed 2, and Kasei Vallis. That's 12 out of 20, or 60% -- much larger than your claimed 4/20 franz, and I didn't even include the Another World Outro Remix. As you can see from this particular screenshot, DJ Randomly seemed to be in an Amiga mood. But that's really my point: as it's random, long streaks of anything is possible. I can't help but think you just got one bad streak from DJ Randomly and are using it as a basis to determine the overall amount of music here on CVGM.

But getting back to flag she (Lain Trzaska) , the reason why I uploaded it to CVGM was not because it was scenemusic (actually I don't even think 'she' could be considered to be active in "the scene" anyway), but because he uses sounds from 8-bit hardware -- such as NES and Gameboy -- in his music. Chiptek is one such album, and Pioneer is another that's even been released under the 8 Bit Peoples label.

We all enjoy game music, that's why we're here and not on Nectarine -- but there's plenty of room for variety in my opinion, especially when it comes to the old 8-bit hardware we've grown to love.
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#366 (13 years, 6 months ago)
CVGM plays a lot of great tracks from many different artists. flag she (Lain Trzaska) fits here perfectly for his use of classic 8-bit hardware in all of his tracks, and they certainly would never be on most other sites including Nectarine.

We support many indie labels in the great job that they do, including 8bitpeoples, Ubiktune, Da! Heard It Records etc. and will continue to do so in the future.

The name isnt changing, unless I can register Goat.FM or something similar
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.