User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Console » DreamcastTriggerheart EXELICA - (stage 1) Exelica, Dancing at Dawn Have video by flag Masahiro Kajihara
Requested By: flag djrandom
Production Labels: LabelWarashi
Icon Icon Icon Icon Icon

Time Left: 3:02

Rating: 4.80 (15 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » Mutiple platform selection for songs (yo Fish!! :)

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1042 (11 years, 7 months ago)
I am not sure which features will next system update have, but having ability to attach multiple platforms to songs would be something I'd like to see some day.

Sure, C64 and Amiga sound different for same game, NDS and PC sound different, midis on SB or other cards sound different, but there are platforms where difference is minimal, if at all noticeable.

For example PSX and PC, or PS3 and Xbox 360, or PS2 and Xbox and GC.

Sure, when game is platform exclusive, it'll have a single platform, but it doesn't seem fair we are forced to select only one platform for a song that exists and sounds the same on multiple. For one thing, it'll only show under single platform when someone is browsing games/songs by the platform. We even attach soundtrack music to a single platform (unless it's arranged version).

Not sure how hard it is to implement on the current scheme, but if artist portraits will have a switch from single to multiple, this is basically already there, just need to use multi-select box instead of drop-down menu.

When platforms sound different, sometimes different composer is doing arrangements, but when all sounds the same, composers also don't change, so all should work fine.

Anyway, and pros and cons on the topic, I'd like to hear
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#1043 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Multiple Platforms is actually a messy thing, I personally wouldn't like to see it implemented on the site. Its rare that songs use more than one source platform, and if there is a dire need for a hybrid platform of some sort, then making one is a very simple process.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1044 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Not sure what do you mean it's rare? For the past 20 years or so that is the case, no? Aside from handhelds, but nowadays consoles and computers sound the same, don't they? Or maybe we shouldn't mark soundtracks as the game's platform because they can match any platform.

Okay, fine, but basically I don't much care if I select PC or Xbox or PS2 for some song if the game exists for all. I usually select the platform I have the covers to supply for, especially if music is from the OST
flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#1045 (11 years, 7 months ago)
I did this thread when i was new here: http://www.cvgm.net/forum/thread/42/
(no reply)

I understand it is difficult to have multiple platforms now.

For me so is "platforms" the heart of CVGM and thats where the most info should be correct (wich means songs there should be representing the platform correctly).
Well.... this is another discussion

flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1046 (11 years, 7 months ago)
What about having "Multi-platform music" platform and get away with all the mess across db structure? I tried to understand the use behind multi-platform made as selection of existing platforms.

Only two things came to my mind:

1. More colorful icons the "Now playing" panel
2. Platform list

Because if for the info/icons, one could use "info field" in the new Multi-platform and voila:

This track is used on:

Console » Xbox 360
Console » PlayStation 3 (PS3)
Console » Wii.

A bit like workaround, but that multi-platform feature is IMHO not much worth the effort (though my opinion is biased, I do not feel much love toward current gen consoles).

-Le Goat

flagStefan_L
Deleted by request

167 Posts
#1047 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Right.. this is mostly a "problem" for newer systems.

If anybody has a problem with choosing platform when the exact same music exist on other platforms maybe do like this.... if the music is from an Japanese game then choose PS3 and if the music id from an western game (USA and Europe) then choose Xbox360
(well.. thats the best i can come up with ATM)
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1048 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Let's just do not upload that modern mass production anymore and do more REAL platforms.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1050 (11 years, 7 months ago)
This isn't only a problem with current gen consoles.

This about game for say Windows 95 and PSX and Dreamcast.

Or game for PS2 and Xbox and GC.

While there may be little to no difference to files on them, when ading tracks from a soundtrack, then any can be selected.

Even tracks taken from PS2 can be marked as PC or vice-versa, there would be no difference since they sound the same.
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.