User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Computer » Amiga (500 / 600 / 1200 / 2000 / 3000 / 4000)The Thinking Man by flag Zzzax (Sebastian Lentfert)
Requested By: flag djrandom
Pouet

Time Left: 4:53

party turtle Screenshot
Rating: 4.38 (16 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » Heated screenshots discussion o/

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1008 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Okay, so just to make things more official and get some definitive answers how to proceed on something, because certain users who are using smaller resolutions or smartphones to enjoy this site are having problem with screenshots.

Needless to say, images support up to 1024px in width and height and anyone clicking on such image (or even smaller one like 800 or 700px) will mess up his page if he is using 1024x768 or similar resolution. But the logical general answer was "if someone clicks on the thumbnail that means he or she wants to see larger image so breaking the browser doesn't matter".

Well, apparently, there are sensitive cases where it does matter. Namely, artists.

Now, while engine allows up to 400x400px artist portrait, if you add it after the artist is in the database (using admin way as that is the only way to add/change image), there is no size limit. Now, I wasn't aware of that after uploading 15 or so images which were in 700x400. I saw larger images used for platform and for screenshots and for covers, and was not aware that artists have such small limit of only 400x400 (especially since this side is more about artists than games, I mean, we add songs to artists, not to games).

Here are samples of a few such portraits to have a better idea of the issue:
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/1492/
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/1480/
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/528/
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/1559/

On 1920x1080 Full-HD resolution, it takes about 50% of the middle section. On 1024x768, it apparently messes up everything.

Solution idea: if artists's text on the right side would be written below the image (which is exactly how platforms are handled, and they use even bigger images than these are), this might be avoided to some point. But then again, if that would break smaller resolutions, then platforms, images and many other sections break it already, it's just that people are more sensitive about artists pages as they seem to get most attention since, after all, we upload songs by coming to those pages.

But then, shouldn't we allow some better image than just 400x400 since artist is so much more important than say, game box cover image which is allowed of up to 1024px in both with and/or height?

Solution 2: What is artist photos would also have thumbnail (190x190px as usual) which would appear on the site and could be enlarged by clicking on it if someone wants to see full image?

Now, if artist has really really long description, both smaller and larger image will look screwed, no matter the resolution... check Bill Brown to see what I mean...
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/1804/

To make this look pretty, we should limit artist info field or at least show it only partially with ability to "see more" or something.

Again, this wouldn't pose a problem if the artist's info is below the image as for the platforms.

Oh, I forgot to say... from time to time I saw certain larger images for artists, so I didn't know it presents such a problem to have them. But again, I wasn't using a smartphone to check the site.
Sample: http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/353/

Okay, so with all that said and done, because Fish is the one to decide it all if he thinks adding small single photo to an artist (which is main element on this site) should be done and 400x400 should be strictly upheld, or is it okay to continue adding 700x400px artist images as in samples above?

Also, as wise Goat wisely pointed out, artist photo and artist info is using table and it's in a same row, so it's impossible to fix or alter the way that looks by changing CSS. The template itself should be changed to alter that... if that is to be altered, I mean

Well, people, complain away or write your opinion and thoughts. In the end, only Fish's words will count, anyway

I won't be adding any more artist photos (700x400px ones) until this issue is resolved and see what fish has to say about it. So far I've added 35 of them, but I know which ones they are and if needs to be done, I can re-do them all with single image in 400x400 so no worries.
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1010 (11 years, 7 months ago)
From the conservative side of the firewall.

I like 400x400 limit and I always considered it detailed enough to represent artists' beauty especially that for some reason (sorry to my fellow CVGM musicians here) not many of artists here happens to be also hot champions of bikini tournaments, so high resolution is not a prerequisite I suppose. I admit, I prefer even bit smaller photos than 400x400 to make song list start as soon as possible. But I also admit I use browser as a window (not full screen) on my desktop, so indeed - it's far from full screen resolutions of modern screens. Still I am not sure if there is really good reason to remove screens around 1200px wide (netbooks, tablets) from the considered user pool. And as long as artist page is table formatted the info text will have to fit on the right side of the photo.

My proposition to MAT (if it is not a show-breaker for him) is to cut out two smaller photos on one side and resize result to fit into 400x400 limit.

And last but not least I would prefer to discuss wide changes first on the forum (and not only OneLiner) before site files are overwritten with new content.

-Le Goat
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1011 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Just to have the list of artists with 700x400 portraits on a single place besides my HDD:

Male:
- Akira Yamaoka, Bill Brown, Brian DiDomenico, Chris Huelsbeck, Clint Bajakian, Fabian Del Priore, Frank Klepacki, Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams, Jack Wall, Jesper Kyd, Joe Romersa, Nobuo Uematsu, Olivier Deriviere, Richard Jacques, Rob Hubbard, Tommy Tallarico, Yasunori Mitsuda

Female:
- Claudia Brucken, Hikaru Utada, Joanne Hogg, Judith Siirila Paskowitz, Kumiko Koda, Lisa Miskovsky, Machiko Watanabe, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Michiko Naruke, Mizuki Watanabe, Shani Rigsbee, Teresa Jane Davis, Yoko Shimomura, Yuki Kajiura

Bands:
- Faunts, Interlace, Poets of the Fall
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1012 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Goat: Yes, I've considered cutting two portraits out as well.

Indeed, on computers I use, this site has many empty space, and long artist descriptions like in Bill Brown's case will push tracklist all the way down even on resolutions I use, even if there's no image at all to begin with.

I believe I mentioned those artist images I use when I first started using them (to both Fish and bpoint via PM), probably should've post it on the forum as well, wasn't aware the site had it at the time

As for replacing existing content, if the image was large enough or good enough, I never replaced those. I either added these images to artists that didn't have portrait at all, of to that that had it but used small or bad-quality image (if it was just small, I reused it as a part of new image so nothing was lost).

Indeed, not many artists have many images to be found, only those that are popular, or those you are friends with and have access to more than one image. For artists I can't find enough quality images, I stick to a single one, like in example of Michael Land here:
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/374/
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1013 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Heh, I like Michael Land's photo. Informative and not taking precious screen space. Good for me.
Apparently I am used to low standards.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1016 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Just for comparison, here are two latest artist (from Uncharted games) I added using 400x400 limit for a single portrait photo:
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/2305/
- http://www.cvgm.net/demovibes/artist/2306/

If this is preferable to those 5in1 700x400 portraits where different ages and photos can be shown (especially useful for bands with several artists), I'll quickly change all the 700x400 5in1 ones into 400x400 single portrait images, no problemo
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1017 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Actually, no matter how big the screen resolution, if there's a lot of artist info, it won't look good, especially with larger images.

So I'll change all those 35 700x400 into 400x400 ones and this thread can be considered finished.

I'll also remove the black borders I so-much-like and picked up that idea from Stefan_L, but seeing how they can easily be added with a single line in CSS (and in my theme they will be added), there is no reason to forcing them on images because we can't remove them the easy way, then.

Maybe in the future Fish will add functionality that artist can have more than one portraits so random one would appear, 5in1 is really just too fancy, be that small or large resolution, Goat is right.

I won't start changingthe 700x400 portraits just yet, so sample links on this thread can stay as they are, but will change them all after a couple of days
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1018 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Don't you think that in case of upper torso or face photos (like flag Greg Edmonson ) 200x200 is enough:

The page screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8630384/cvgm-gregedmonson.jpg

It's not platform hardware pic where you may want to examine some details of the device. It's regular dude's face and we can see much more than we may ever wish for even from 40000 pixels.

With 400px plus banner more than half of the vertical screen space (even of Full HD screen) on the artist page is already wasted. Add some info and songs start almost on the next page down.

In the end I think we are not artists database in the first place. Usual short note plus a photo works good and is just to give a man behind the music some context. I think artist page's primary use is being a list of songs and building encyclopedic knowledge with vast photo galeries and long descriptions should be "outsourced" to linked wikipedia page (or if we ever do that - artist's details subpage).
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1019 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Okay, fine, sure, I'll keep them all down to 200x200, or maybe 240x240. Hope we'll find a way to reduce the info like on Bill Brown's page so it basically doesn't go below the portrait no matter the screen width.
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1020 (11 years, 7 months ago)
MAT,
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#1021 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Personally, I think the smaller 400x400 size is adequate, although it can be ridden by a moderator in the admin panel, it could become a problem on smaller devices with lower bandwidth.

I also think it looks a little cleaner this way, but thats just my 2 cents worth
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1031 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Yo Goatman!!

I've changed all the 37 portraits into 240x240 sizes which look great alright (200x200 was too small and side text quickly grows larger than the height of image). I even changed Akira Yamaoka you tried adding with 3in1. Don't force yourself, this way (your way) is better alright
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#1035 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Seems like I get busy for a week and end up missing all of the fun discussions.

I thought MAT's original five-framed artist graphics were not only awesome, but they had a fresh new look that went good with the site. I felt they provided a really good service to the artist, since a single shot doesn't always present the best look for them. Sure, full HD sized might be overkill (not everyone has supah-fast-intahnetz), but the 700x400 size was perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

After all, the artists are the ones who make the music we love and listen to, shouldn't we try to present them in the best possible light we can?
flagGoatfather
|____/_/_/_/_/_|

96 Posts
#1036 (11 years, 7 months ago)
As long as it fits between side bars. Try non-HD resolution: scale browser to ~1200px wide then try to read any info along 700px photo. As it was already stated above - without HTML template changes it will look bad.

Demo artist for Le Beepi : qdk

-Le G.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1037 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Fish said changes to templates are coming soon

Those 700x400 maybe looked fancy, but even on 1440 resolution they take too much screen.

They look fine on platforms (check PSX, PS2, PS3, Xbox, etc.) because info text is below the image.

But maybe in the future Fish will make it so we can upload multiple images for artist, just as we can to songs or compilations and whatnot. Guess that way it would also work, so for some artist there can be more than just 1 portrait, randomly showing one on artist page.
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#1038 (11 years, 7 months ago)
MAT: When the new system kicks in, yes, just like songs, you can add multiple images for one artist, and the main image itself can then be much larger when you click the thumbnail.
flagMAT
Objection!

106 Posts
#1039 (11 years, 7 months ago)
Fish: That sounds great. Okay, I won't be focusing on images too much then. Will leave it for when the new system kicks in
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.