User Menu

Notification Settings

Now Playing

Computer » Amiga (500 / 600 / 1200 / 2000 / 3000 / 4000)Noname Have video by flag Anty
Requested By: flag djrandom
Pouet Icon Icon

Time Left: 3:35

Vector surprise Screenshot
Rating: 4.11 (9 Votes)

- Streams

Site Disclaimer

This site is non-profit (though donations are welcome to help pay the hosting/bandwidth fees, click the Donate button to learn about how it works). All music served by this radio station is either in the public domain, freely available on the internet (as MP3, or other original music format) or is played on a 'fair use' basis.

If you find a song that isn't in the public domain, or you wrote a piece of music that you would like removed from the site, please contact one of our team members who will be happy to help. Enjoy the music!

Meet The Dream Team

Site Coder/Maintainer:
FishGuy876 - Admin, Code

The Dream Team:
FishGuy876
Stefan_L
ViThor
Falken
StarPilot
Goatfather
DarkWolf
vanward
tyco
And our ninja moderators...

Extra Resources:
CVGM on Facebook

Popular Forum Topics:
forum Donating to CVGM
forum Never Received CVGM Activation Email
forum Introduce Yourself!
forum BBCodes For Forum & Oneliner
forum OneLiner / Forum Smilies
forum Official Upload FAQ

Please donate to our Beer/Amiga/Atari Fund if you like our site:

CVGM.net - Chiptune, Retro & Video Game Music

Development Area » Unicode support

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#374 (13 years, 6 months ago)
I'll be blunt: CVGM *needs* unicode support. And it needed it yesterday.

I haven't been very vocal about this since it's really only affected me (Japanese text gets converted to '?' marks), and I've only dealt with it happening on the oneliner. But about a week ago, I had an interesting idea to add the proper kanji for the names of Japanese artists as their nickname, leaving the romaji/English version intact. Sadly, even changing the name from the Admin panel still results in '?' marks for the kanji, so I gave up.

Finally, today, I realized I'm no longer the only one who's had to deal with this issue. Starpilot uploaded a new compilation Derecha last night, and the non-English characters in the song names are thrown out and converted to '?' marks.

From what I can tell, this looks like it's a web server related configuration issue, or at least something local, as Demovibes (@scenemusic.net) doesn't have any problem with Japanese characters at all.

This really, really, reeeeaaally needs to be fixed. If I can help with the server configuration in any way, or do any kind of testing/troubleshooting, please let me know.
flagjyooruje
Coimbra

34 Posts
#375 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Yep i saw that caracters on the Starpilot uploads. I think that they are portuguese caracters, let me try

Não. São. Característica.

Well they work here.
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#376 (13 years, 6 months ago)
Hmm, never tested the forums...

Japanese text: ???
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#377 (13 years, 6 months ago)
No love here.

There's something interesting I noticed though: the number of question marks is exactly equal to the glyph count. If not interpreted as unicode, kanji characters (which I entered above) are multibyte. This means that for the 3 kanji I entered above, there should be at least 6 question marks, but there aren't.

This leads me to think that the web server is properly reading and processing everything as Unicode, but the storage (the database backend) is not.

What SQL server is CVGM using? If it's MySQL, it might just be that the collation for the tables is set incorrectly.
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#382 (13 years, 6 months ago)
I think it is just that the database is not in a format that supports the unicode properly, probbably latin1 and needs converted to utf-8. I need to figure out how to do this on the site and set it up properly when I get some free time
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#385 (13 years, 5 months ago)
Unicode support has now been added. After wasting an hour farting with PHPMyAdmin I found a script that converted the database for me. I should now be able to do crazy shit like:

子曰:「學而時習之,不亦說乎?有朋自遠方來,不亦樂乎?
人不知而不慍,不亦君子乎?」

有子曰:「其為人也孝弟,而好犯上者,鮮矣;
不好犯上,而好作亂者,未之有也。君子務本,本立而道生。
孝弟也者,其為仁之本與!」

or even:

ٱلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰهِ رَبِّ ٱلْعَالَمِينَ

ٱلرَّحْمـَبنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

مَـالِكِ يَوْمِ ٱلدِّينِ

إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ

ٱهْدِنَــــا ٱلصِّرَاطَ ٱلمُسْتَقِيمَ

صِرَاطَ ٱلَّذِينَ أَنعَمْتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ ٱلمَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ ٱلضَّالِّينَ

And maybe even:

По оживлённым берегам
Громады стройные теснятся
Дворцов и башен; корабли
Толпой со всех концов земли
К богатым пристаням стремятся;

Im not sure what it means, but it should display fine
flagFishGuy876
FishGuy876 / Brainstorm

484 Posts
#386 (13 years, 5 months ago)
Yup, displaying fine here
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#387 (13 years, 5 months ago)
The oneliner works fine, let's try some Japanese...

あいうえおカキクケコ日本語
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#388 (13 years, 5 months ago)
I'd say it's fixed. Awesome work, Fishy! Thanks!! \o/
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#389 (13 years, 5 months ago)
I've fixed the song names in Derecha, and added proper Japanese names for flag Nobuo Uematsu (植松 伸夫) , flag Kazumi Totaka (戸高 一生) and flag Norio Hanzawa (半沢 紀夫) , for now.

The only slightly odd thing I noticed is that the true Japanese names don't appear in parenthesis until after the song is requested -- you can see what I mean by looking at any of these Artist's pages. I guess Demovibes has some internal update system that doesn't take affect until after a song has been in the queue?
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#447 (13 years, 1 month ago)
I just tried editing a song's information, and added some Japanese characters to the text. When I went to approve the change, the characters were changed to question marks.

So here's a test to see if Unicode broke again recently: 日本語テスト
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#448 (13 years, 1 month ago)
Looks like Unicode is still working fine for the forums and the oneliner, so something must be broken on the edit information page.

I'll use the Admin interface directly for now, I guess...
flagFalken
Falken / brainstorm

48 Posts
#449 (13 years, 1 month ago)
Right, so I can't use the Admin interface for song info changes anymore.

Here's the song which needs to be fixed: SuPeiNJin
Pages: 1

Reply To This Forum Post

Before posting a new, or replying to a forum topic, please be mindful of the following simple rules:

Forum posts can include highlighting and other fancy commands for embedding content, songs and groups etc. To learn more about how to use the BBCode features in your post, take a read Here on the forums to see how they look!

Please log in to post a reply.